Pages

Thursday 6 October 2016

Music; My Intro To It And What I Am Listening To Lately


I love music. I have always loved it. Throughout my entire life, no matter where I was, how I felt, what was going wrong or right, I have always loved music. The styles and genres of music that I have enjoyed have varied a lot over the years and continue to be very diverse. I enjoy worship music, country music, hardcore/punk-pop music, alternative and singer-songwriter music, and honestly there isn't really a genre in which I can't find at least one artist that I enjoy. 

Throughout my childhood I loved to sing, loud and proud, all the time. I have never thought or been told that I have a particularly nice voice but I just love to sing. I have the natural talent to have a steady pitch and that is enough for me. 

I learned to play the alto saxophone when I was in grade 7 and continued playing in the school band for the rest of my junior and senior high education. I was always commended by my teachers for being a natural. I loved being in band class. I honestly never made friends with anyone in my band classes and none of my friends thought it was very "cool" that I liked band so much, but it was the only class I never wanted to miss. 

When I was in grade 11 I dated a boy who played guitar better than anyone I have ever met still to this day. He taught me a few basic things about the acoustic guitar and I bought my own and fell in love with it. Once we broke up I continued playing and still play the guitar to this day. I wish I could say the same for the saxophone but that is just not the case. 

When I was in my late teens I started singing on the worship team at my church and liked it a lot. At one point I was even able to lead worship when I started attending a smaller church that usually only had one or two people playing at a time. I liked this but didn't feel super confident. 

In January I was a part of a church plant in my city and was asked to take on the worship responsibilities and lead the worship team. I was happy to give it a try and I am still doing that every Sunday. I enjoy it a lot, and hope I can continue to improve and keep at it, but let me tell you, it is hard work. It may not seem like it to some people but coordinating a team of musicians and planning set lists and learning new songs and trying to keep the song rotation recognizable and current at the same time is a huge job. Not to mention that as a member of the leadership at my church there are also other responsibilities that need to be taken care of, such as set up and tear down of equipment each week. This is the first time in my life that my love for music has led me to playing and singing so frequently/regularly. I feel more and more confident each week and think that I am truly improving. 

As you can imagine, keeping my worship sets current and recognizable means that I listen to a lot of music. I am always searching for new artists and new albums and things I haven't heard before and trying to see what kinds of things other Christians like to listen to and sing. I personally use Apple Music and Youtube for all my music listening needs, but in the past I have used apps like 8tracks to find new music. Because I like to share the music I find, I plan to do a regular instalment on my blog of "What I Am Listening To Lately" to let you know what I have been loving. Today I will share the worship albums that I have been listening to lately. 

So without further ado, here are my current favourite albums:


I don't have much to say other than this entire album is just pure amazing


I usually don't enjoy Hillsong Worship and strongly prefer Hillsong United's albums but this specific album is really incredible. 


This one isn't new, and in fact, this band has come out with another album recently but I am still not over this one.


I love everything Hillsong United does, and this "acoustic" album is no exception. They put a different spin on songs from their previous album and it is beautiful. Also, if you don't know who Taya Smith is, you will hear her (as the only female vocal) on this album and just wow. Her voice is not fair. 



//I hope that you get a chance to check some of these albums out! Let me know what you think if you do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment